- Telephone:+31 20 59 89609
- Room nr:13a00
- Unit:fac. der geesteswetenschappen ( taal,lit.&comm. )
- Position:Assistant Professor, Linguistics
Office hours: I am in the office on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Please make an appointment by e-mail.
Persoonlijke pagina in het Nederlands
Communication and Information Sciences: Applied Linguistics
Second language acquisition, second language teaching, psycholinguistics, oral fluency, and written corrective feedback
- Child Language Acquisition
- Introduction to Dutch as a Second Language
- Language and Thought
- Language in Context
- Second Language Acquisition
- Teaching Dutch as a Second Language: Backgrounds (MA)
- Testing and Assessment of Language Skills
- Vocabulary Acquisition in a Second Language
- Academic English
- Internships and thesis supervision
How do adults learn languages? And how should languages be taught? My research aims to answer these questions by characterizing the changes in knowledge and processing mechanisms that are brought about by specific teaching methods, especially with respect to (morpho)syntax and speaking skills. My approach is driven by research questions from applied linguistics and psycholinguistics.
Until January 2013 I was the Principal Investigator on a research project funded by the Pittsburgh Science of Learning Center. We studied the effect of time pressure on the development of oral fluency in second language learners.
- Vercellotti, M. L. & de Jong, N. (2013). Use and accuracy of verb complements in English L2 speech. Dutch Journal of Applied Linguistics, 2(2), 243-250.
- De Jong, N. (2012). Does time pressure help or hinder oral fluency? In: N. de Jong, K. Juffermans, M. Keijzer, & L. Rasier (Eds.), Papers of the Anéla 2012 Applied Linguistics Conference (pp. 43-52). Delft: Eburon.
- De Jong, N. & Perfetti, C.A. (2011). Fluency training in the ESL classroom: An experimental study of fluency development and proceduralization. Language Learning, 61(2), 533-568.
- De Jong, N. (2008). Second language learning of grammar: Output matters too. In M. Young-Scholten & T. Piske (Eds.), Input Matters in SLA (pp. 95-115). Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Frishkoff, G., Levin, L., Pavlik, P., Idemaru, K., & De Jong, N. (2008). A model-based approach to second-language learning of grammatical constructions. In B. C. Love, K. McRae, & V. M. Sloutsky (Eds.), Proceedings of the 30th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society (pp. 1665-1670). Austin, TX: Cognitive Science Society.
- De Jong, C.A.M. (2005). Learning Second Language Grammar by Listening. Doctoral dissertation, University of Amsterdam. [pdf]
- De Jong, N. (2005). Can second-language grammar be learned through listening? An experimental study. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 27(2), 205-234.
Publications in Dutch
- De Jong, N. (to appear). Feedback op geschreven teksten: Wat leren cursisten ervan? In B. Bossers (Ed.), Vakwerk 9. Amsterdam: BV NT2.
- De Jong, N. & De Boer, M. (2014). Oefenen met vloeiend spreken: Werkvormen voor in de les, LES, 186, 3-5.
- De Boer, M. & De Jong, N. (2014). Smalle context. Een beslissende schakel in grammatica-onderwijs? Het verstaan en gebruik van werkwoordsuitgangen, LES online, 7 maart 2014.
- De Jong, N. (2012). Oefenen met vloeiend spreken: Wat, hoe en waarom? In B. Bossers (Ed.), Vakwerk 8 (pp. 25-35). Amsterdam: BV NT2.
- De Jong, N. (2012). Talen leer je door te doen, doen en nog eens te doen: In gesprek met Jan Hulstijn, LES, 180, 32-35.
- De Jong, N. (2012). Sociale media en het taakgericht taalonderwijs, LES, 179, 2-4.
Selected talks 2007-2014
- De Jong, N. (2013). Oral fluency and the repeated use of grammatical structures in immediate task repetition: Trigrams across deliveries. EUROSLA conference, August 2013, Amsterdam.
- De Jong, N. (2012). Short and longer term effects of time pressure on fluency in second language learners. Workshop Fluent Speech, November 13, 2012, Utrecht.
- De Jong, N. & Seman, J-M. (2012). Effects of immediate task repetition, prompt type, and time pressure on repeated retrieval of vocabulary. Second Language Research Forum, October 21, 2012, Pittsburgh, PA.
- De Jong, N. & Poelmans, P. (2011). Accuracy and complexity in second language speech: Do specific measures make the difference? Paper presented at the EuroSLA conference, Stockholm, September 2011.
- De Jong, N. & Vercellotti, M. L. (2011). Norming picture story prompts for second language production research: Fluency, linguistic items, and speakers’ perception. Paper presented at the American Association for Applied Linguistics conference 2011, Chicago, IL, March 2011.
- Halderman, L. K. & De Jong, N. (2010). Vocabulary and grammatical knowledge contribute differentially to second language oral fluency. Paper presented at the iSLC conference, May 2010.
- Vercellotti, M.L. & De Jong, N. (2010). How does fluency training in the ESL classroom affect language complexity? Poster presented at the iSLC conference, May 2010.
De Jong, N. & Halderman, L. (2009). The role of vocabulary and grammar knowledge in second-language oral fluency: A correlational study. Paper presented at the Second Language Research Forum, East Lansing, MI, October 2009.
- De Jong, N., Halderman, L.K., & Ross, M. (2009). The effect of formulaic sequences training on fluency development in an ESL classroom. Paper presented at the American Association for Applied Linguistics conference, Denver, CO, March 2009.
- Vercellotti, M.L. & De Jong, N. (2009). “I prefer go”: English L2 verb complement errors. Poster presented at the Georgetown University Round Table, Washington, D.C., March 2009.
- Vercellotti, M.L. & De Jong, N. (2009). “I always dessert cake to diet”: Elicited Imitation as an L2 task. Poster presented at the Second Annual Inter-Science of Learning Center Conference, Seattle, WA, February 2009.
- De Jong, N. The study of oral fluency development in ESL. Presentation given at the Colloquium on Teaching and Learning World Languages, Queens College of CUNY, March 2008.
- De Jong, N., McCormick, D., O'Neill, C., and Bradin Siskin, C., Self-correction and fluency in ESL speaking development. Paper presented at the American Association for Applied LinguisticsConference, Costa Mesa, CA, April 2007.
- Organization committee Anela Conference 2012
- Editoral board LES (journal for second language teachers), until end of 2014