- Telephone:+31 20 59 82826
- Room nr:13a00
- Unit:fac. der geesteswetensch (let) (taal en communicatie)
- Position:University lecturer
Department of Language and Communication
Office hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays (subject to occasional variation)
Sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, language attriton and loss, language testing, research methodology.
- Academic skills: Oral presentation and report writing
- Introduction to linguistics
- Language variation and change
- Phonetics and phonology
- Pedagogical grammar
- Advanced English Language Skills: Du-Eng translation and business module
- Academic English
In the past I have been working on - in chronological order - language variation, intonation learning, language attrition and loss, language testing, the bilingual mental lexicon, Dutch/English bilingualism, and bilingual education. Now I am working on language proficiency testing again: I want to investigate how the levels defined in the Common European Framework can be operationalised. Together with dr. John H.A.L. de Jong, who moved to Pearson Language Tests in 2005, I am supervising a Pearson-funded PhD project carried out by Rebecca Present-Thomas.
- 2014 Dorst, A., Hannay, M. & B. Weltens: Van Tekst naar Text. Taal- en vertaalvaardigheid Engels . Bussum: Coutinho.
- 2013 Weltens, B. et al. (eds.) Writing Assessment in Higher Education. Special issue of Dutch Journal of Applied Linguistics 2(1).
- 2012 Present-Thomas, R., B. Weltens & J. de Jong: Syntactic complexity in written English of incoming university students. In. N. de Jong et al. (eds.), Papers of the Anéla 2012 Applied Linguistics Conference, 35-42.
- 2009 Backus, A., M. Keijzer, I. Vedder & B. Weltens, Artikelen van de Zesde Anéla-Conferentie. Delft: Eburon.
- 2002 Hulsen, M., K. de Bot & B. Weltens: "Between two worlds": Social networks, language shift and language processing in three generations of Dutch immigrants in New Zealand. International Journal of the Sociology of Language 153: 27-52.
- 1996 Kellerman, E., B. Weltens & T. Bongaerts (eds.): EUROSLA 6: A Selection of Papers = Toegepaste Taalwetenschap in Artikelen # 55. [Special issue of Applied Linguistics in Article Form]
- 1993 Schreuder, R. & B. Weltens (eds.): The Bilingual Lexicon. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins (Studies in Bilingualism 6).
- 1991 Bot, K. de & B. Weltens: Recapitulation, regression, and language loss. In: H. Seliger & R. Vago (eds.), First Language Attrition: Structural and Theoretical Perspectives. Cambridge: C.U.P., 31-51.
- 1989 Weltens, B.: The Attrition of French as a Foreign Language. Dordrecht/Providence RI: Foris (Studies on Language Acquisition 6).
- 1989 Cheshire, J., V. Edwards, H. Münstermann & B. Weltens (eds.): Dialect and Education: Some European Perspectives. Clevedon, Avon: Multilingual Matters.
- 1986 Weltens, B., K. de Bot & T. van Els (eds.): Language Attrition in Progress. Dordrecht/Providence RI: Foris (Studies on Language Acquisition 2).
- 1984 Edwards, V., P. Trudgill & B. Weltens: The Grammar of English Dialect. A Survey of Research. London: Economic and Social Research Council.
I coordinated an item bank project (2006-2010) within the Department of Language and Communication, which was aimed at developing exercises and testing tools for the languages represented in the Faculty of Arts, in particular for teaching academic English.
As of 1 August 2008, I'm chairing the English (havo/vwo) committee of CvTE, the institution responsible for the final exams in Dutch secondary schools. Since May 2014 I'm also chairing the CvTE committee developing an adaptive diagnostic English test for all levels of Dutch secondary education. These activities (and other fun projects that find me) are carried out through my own business, the Language Experts.
I spend most of my spare time on my two main hobbies: my motorbike and listening to what most people consider loud rock music, such as Nirvana and Rammstein, but also Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Roxy Music and Madonna. And I also like some of the (relatively) modern stuff, such as Snow Patrol and P!nk.
Nederlandse Vereniging voor Toegepaste Taalwetenschap