- Telephone:+31 20 59 86457
- Room nr:13a00
- Unit:faculteit der letteren (taal en communicatie)
- Position:Hoogleraar Computationale Lexicologie
Office hours: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays: VU, Fridays at home.
Office is closed flex-working space, so call before visiting.
- Full professor Computational Lexicology at the Faculty of Arts, department Language, Cognition and Communication (LCC) at VU University Amsterdam.
- Head of the Computational Lexicology & Terminology Lab (CLTL).
- Founder and President of the Global WordNet Assocation (GWA).
- NWO Spinoza Laureate 2013.
- Member of the Koninklijke Hollandsche Maatschappij der Wetenschappen (KHMW).
- Member of The Network Institute.
Wordnets, Terminology, Computational Lexicon, Ontologies, Lexicon and Ontology Acquisition, Computational Linguistics, Language Technology and Computer-Applications.
My research focuses on WordNets and Computational Lexicons, both within a single language but also from a multilingual perspective. I am interested in the relation between lexicons and ontologies, both from a theoretical point of view as well as from their usage in computer-applications in which meaning and interpretation play a role. I see the lexicon as a fundamental resource to anchor meaning and interpretation in useful computer behaviour. Computer behaviour can make use of communicative models and insights from communication science. The organization of the lexicon and the knowledge stored in it needs to take that usage as a starting point.
- NewsReader: (“Building structured event indexes of large volumes of financial and economic data for decision making”): 7th EU Framework project project ICT-2011-8-3164048 (2013-2015)
- Depression (“Exploiting textual and numerical data to improve predictive models for depression”): KNAW-grant for The Network Institute for an Academy Assistants program, called “Social networks: working at the interface of social sciences and computer science” (2012-2013).
- SPREAD (“Spreading of metaphors and key phrases on the Web”): KNAW-grant for The Network Institute for an Academy Assistants program, called “Social networks: working at the interface of social sciences and computer science” (2012-2013).
- OpeNER (“Open Polarity Enhanced Named Entity Recognition”): 7th EU Framework project ICT-296451 (2012-2014).
- BiographyNed: (From the Biography Portal of the Netherlands to a Virtual Society of People Past and Present): VU/ UvA eScience-project (2012-2016).
- Cornetto-LMF-RDF: (Curated Cornetto database in LMF and RDF): a CLARIN project (2012-2013).
- SIERA: (“Integrating Sina Institute into the European Research Area”): 7th EU Framework project (2012-2014).
- TH@SIS: (“Throwing Hypothesis At Semantic Information Systems”): Netwerk Instituut Research Voucher (2013)
- From sentiments and opinions in texts to positions of political parties (Text2Politics): a CAMeRA project (2009-2013)
- Semantics of History: a CAMeRA project (2009-2013)
- Global WordNet Grid: a GWA Project (2006-ongoing)
- Global Wordnet Association (2000-ongoing)
- KYOTO (Knowledge Yielding Ontologies for Transition-based Organization): 7th EC Framework project ICT-211423 (2008-2011)
- DutchSemCor: (“Dutch corpus with word senses from the Cornetto database): NWO-project 380-70-011 (2009-2012)
- EuroWordNet (EWN): 4th EC Framework Project LE2 4003 and LE 8328 (1996-2000)
- FLaReNet (Fostering Language Resources Network): 7th EU Framework project ECP-2007-LANG-617001 (2007-2011)
- Cornetto (A Combinatoric and Relational Network for Language Technology): Nederlandse Taalunie/Stevin-programma STE05039 (2006-2008)
- Pilotgrant DutchSemCor (“Dutch corpus with word senses from the Cornetto database): NWO (jan-aug 2008)
- Arabic WordNet (AWN): American Government (2005-2007)
- Meaning (Developing Multilingual Web-scale Language Technologies): 5th EC Framework project IST-2001-34460 (2002-2005)
- Euroterm: (Extending the EuroWordNet with Public Sector Terminology): EC Framework project (2001-2003)
- Balkanet (Design and Development of a Multilingual Balkan WordNet): EC Framework project IST-2000-29388 (2002-2004)
- SIFT: (Selecting Information From Text) EC Framework project LRE 62030 (1994-1996)
- Acquilex-2: Esprit-project BRA 7315 (1992-1995)
- Acquilex-1: Esprit-project BRA-3030 (1989-1992)
- Links: NWO 300-169-007) 1983-1986
- NWO Spinoza Laureate 2013.
- Global WordNet Association: Co-Founder and Co-President, ongoing from 2000.
- 7th Global Wordnet Conference: Conference Chair, Organizer and President, January 25-29, 2014, Tartu, Estonia.
- Koninklijke Hollandsche Maatschappij der Wetenschappen, invited member, ongoing from 2012.
- The Network Institute: invited member of TNI, part of the VU University Amsterdam which carries out three interdisciplinary research programmes focused on themes of prime societal relevance: The Connected World, Web and e-Science, and Centre for Organization Studies, ongoing from 2011.
- Human Language Technologies (HLT)-Committee: invited member, responsible for the further development of the ‘HLT collabaration between South Africa and the Nederlandse Taalunie, ongoing from 2012.
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Ontology-Lexica Community Group: Invited member, ongoing from 2011.
- Taalbank Nederlands (GTB) of the Institute of Dutch Lexicography (INL): Member of the Advisory Board, ongoing from 2009.
- European Union: Expert reviewer for the ICT Call 9, Objective 8.2, ICT for access to Cultural Heritage, 2012
- European Union: Expert reviewer in the area of Language Technology and Machine Translation for the project Organic.Lingua: Demonstrating the potential of a multilingual web portal for Sustainable Agricultural & Environmental Education, 2012-2015.
- 6th Global Wordnet Conference: Conference Chair, Organizer and President, January 9-13, 2012, Matsue, Japan.
- Nederlandse TaalUnie: Member of the committee to revise the Referentie Bestand Nederlands.
- LOT (Landelijke Onderzoekschool Taalwetenschap): Member of the Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics, ongoing from 2009.
- Member of FLaReNet (Fostering Language Resources Network), 7th EU Framework Project.
- Member of the National Advisory Panel of CLARIN-NL.
- Invited Talks / Presentations
- Organized Conferences/Workshops
- Advisory / Research Committees
- Scientific / Program Committees